Tuesday, March 4, 2014

3/4/14 by Emma Forester

3/4/14
       Today we woke up and headed to a monastery. I wasn't very excited for this trip because my throat was on fire and my nose was at a constant run toward the floor. We got on to the bus and I put my ear buds in and the next thing I remembered was David tapping my shoulder and waking me up. I was a little confused where I was at first but then I remembered that we where going to the monastery. I thought I knew what to expect. I mean I watched Wendy Woo Homecoming Worrier and thought the monks would be just like that. I thought that they would be bald and Asian. I was so awfully wrong. We got to the first monastery and a man with all black clothing on and a black and white beard greeted us. Helen told us that that was one of the monks. We didn't waste anytime and we all filed into the church. It was a small church with beautiful old paintings, many of Jesus Christ. He was on the ceiling, on the alter, in the corner, he was everywhere. This monastery was dedicated to Saint John. 
We jumped out of the church and the monk with the soft eyes and the black and white beard invited us inside for some water and Turkish delights. We all had a glass of water while some of the boys picked at the Turkish delights. The monk asked us where we were all from. The monk told us to take a message back to our president. He told us to tell him that we should keep your soldiers out of war. He told us that there is no need for violence. Helen asked him if he knew what the weather was going to be like and he told us that only god knows the weather. 
Next, we had an hour hike to the other monastery. The first 15 minutes were fine. The next 15 minutes I started to feel a burn in my upper calf. The next 15 minutes with every step I took my hips jolted out of place and then back into place.  The next 15 minutes my body was tight. Every step was a thought process. Do I want to step? Should I stop moving? Every step was worth it. We finally got the monastery. This monastery girls had to wear skirts so even the guys slipped skirts over there jeans. Most of the guys protested but we got a funny picture of all of use in the skirts. In this monastery we could light candles for people, things, or wishes so I lit 4. One for my brother, my father, my mother, and another for my grandfather in heaven. We got back on the road and went to a restaurant where we made our dinner. I was a photographer because I was too sick to touch the food. All the smells in the kitchen seemed to clear my sniffles until we went back outside and the cold won. I learned a lot of things today. I'm so glad I was able to have this experience. I don't want it to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment